If you are convicted of Operating Under the Influence (OUI) in the State of Maine, your driver’s license will be suspended for the following lengths of time:
1st Offense - 90 days
2nd Offense - 3 years
3rd Offense - 4 years
Subsequent Offenses - 6 years
In order to get your Maine driver’s license reinstated after an OUI, you will need to:
• Pay reinstatement fees. You can do this at any BMV branch office. You cannot pay these fees at mobile unit locations. You can also pay these fees by credit card over the telephone. Call 207-624-9000.
• Purchase Maine SR22 insurance.
• Participate in Maine’s Ignition Interlock Program (for 4-time offenders).
An SR22 is simply a certificate that proves you are covered by auto insurance. The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles will only accept SR22 insurance from a company that is licensed to sell insurance in the State of Maine.
You can find a list of those SR22 insurance companies here:
An ignition interlock device is a breathalyzer that is attached to your ignition. It prevents someone who has been drinking from even starting a vehicle. Before a driver can start the vehicle, he or she must provide a breath sample that does not exceed the device’s preset limit. In Maine, this limit is 0.025. The device will also ask for a random retest every five to fifteen minutes. The IID is programmed to record any attempt to tamper with the device.
• If you have been convicted of a 2nd OUI offense, your license may be reinstated after 9 months of your suspension, if you install the IID and use it for 2 years.
• If you have been convicted of a 3rd offense, your license may be reinstated after 3 years of your suspension, if you install the IID and use it for 3 years.
• If you have been convicted of a 4th offense, you will need to install an IID in order to get your driver’s license reinstated. You will then be restricted to IID driving for 4 years.
In order to begin the process, you must file a Petition for Early Reinstatement with Ignition Interlock Device with the Secretary of State to get approval. Once you have been approved, you can have your IID installed. There are only two approved IID vendors in the state, but they have several locations:
For More Information:
For more information about Maine SR22 insurance, call the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Driver License Services Division at 207-624-9000, ex. 52108.
You can also request information by mail. Write to:
To request information by mail, be sure to include your name, your date of birth, and your street address. If you need a copy of your suspension or revocation letter, include a check for $10 made payable to Secretary of State.
You can also learn more about Maine OUI penalties by visiting our Maine OUI laws page.
First Offense OUI Maine - First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, OUI classes, and much more.
OUI Laws in Maine - Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Maine OUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
Maine OUI Schools & Classes - We offer a complete listing of state approved OUI schools listed by County.
Maine Bail Bond Agents - Comprehensive list of Maine bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.