Iowa SR22 Information & Filings
In the State of Iowa, if you are convicted of an OWI (Operating While Intoxicated), your driver’s license will be suspended for at least 180 days. You will also need to show proof of financial responsibility, in the form of SR22 insurance, for a period of two years from the first day of your suspension.
SR22 insurance is a certificate of auto liability insurance. It simply proves to the State of Iowa that you are financially responsible and fully insured. (You don’t have to purchase SR22 insurance if you file a surety bond, cash, or securities equal to $55,000.) If you operate a vehicle owned by an employer or a member of your immediate family, the owner of the vehicle’s insurance company must file an SR22 on your behalf.
If you allow your SR22 insurance to lapse, your driver’s license will be suspended again.
The SR22 form must be filed with the Office of Driver Services by an Iowa-authorized insurance company. You can find a list of insurance companies licensed to do business in the State of Iowa here:
Iowa’s Ignition Interlock Program:
Some people are eligible for a temporary restricted driver’s license if they participate in Iowa’s ignition interlock program.
An ignition interlock device (IID) is a small unit that needs to be professionally installed in a vehicle. By requesting a breath sample before allowing the vehicle to start, the IID prevents an intoxicated driver from operating the vehicle. Once the vehicle is safely started, the IID will ask for random breath samples to make sure that the driver remains sober. The devices record any tampering attempts. The use of ignition interlock devices has been shown to drastically reduce the rate of drunk driving incidents.
The holder of the restricted license is responsible for all IID fees. The following quotes are estimations only:
Installation fee: $27-$100
Monthly fee: $65-$100
Removal fee: $22-$75
Some vendors also require a cash deposit before they will install the device.
The following ignition interlock devices (IID) are approved for use in Iowa:
CST Intoxalock 1-877-777-5020
Draeger XT Interlock 1-800-622-2526
Lifesafer (FC-100) 1-800-369-3661
Smart Start SSI 20/20 1-800-880-3394
For More Information:
For more information about Iowa’s OWI laws and processes, see our Iowa OWI laws page.
You can also call the Iowa Office of Driver Services at 1-800-532-1121.
Additional Iowa OWI Resources
- Iowa First Offense OWI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, OWI classes, and more.
- Iowa Second Offense OWI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, OWI classes, and more.
- Iowa Third Offense OWI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, OWI classes, and more.
- Iowa OWI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Iowa’s OWI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Iowa Alcohol OWI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved OWI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Iowa Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Iowa bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.