Georgia First Offense DUI Law Overview
A first offense DUI in Georgia comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Department of Driver Services.
A first offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense. The jail sentence will range from 10 days minimum up to 12 months maximum. The court may suspend or porbate all but 24 hours of the sentence. The fine will range from $300 to $1,000 plus all court costs. You will be placed on probation for 1 year minus time already served. You must serve 40 hours of community service. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved DUI school is required.
A first offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will result in a 1 year suspension of your driver’s license. Your license will be suspended for 120 days following a first offense. You will be able to obtain a limited license during the 120 day suspension period that will allow to drive to and from work, school, etc. The court may grant you a limited license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Georgia DUI Resources
- Georgia DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Georgia’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Georgia Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Georgia Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Georgia Fourth or Subsequent Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Georgia SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Georgia’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Georgia DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Georgia Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Georgia bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.