New Jersey SR22 Information & Filings
In order to get your driver’s license back after a New Jersey DUI suspension, you will likely need to:
Complete your suspension period.
Pay a restoration fee of $100. You can pay this fee online or in person at a regional service center. You can also send a check or money order payable to: New Jersey MVC, P.O. Box 140, Trenton, NJ 08650.
Install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle(s).
You will also need to pay a surcharge to the New Jersey MVC of $1,000 every year for three years. This surcharge applies even if your DUI happened in another state, and it continues to apply if you move away from New Jersey. If you fail to pay this surcharge, your wages may be garnished and/or a lien may be placed on your property.
You can pay this surcharge online or in person at a Regional Service Center or MVC Agency. You can also pay by credit card if you call 1-888-651-9999. You can also send a check or money order payable to: New Jersey MVC, NJ-AISC, P.O. Box 4850, Trenton, NJ 08650. You can pay your surcharges via installments. To set up an installment plan, call 609-292-7500.
New Jersey and SR22 Insurance:
SR22 insurance is a high-risk insurance that many states require those convicted of a DUI to carry. An SR22 is a simple form that proves that you do have insurance.
The State of New Jersey does not require SR22 insurance. However, if you were convicted of a DUI in another state, you may still be required to file an SR22 with the state in which the DUI happened.
Even though New Jersey doesn’t require an SR22 form, your insurance can go up drastically if you are convicted of a DUI.
New Jersey’s Ignition Interlock Program:
If your have been convicted of a DUI, the court may order you to install an ignition interlock device (IID). An ignition interlock device is a small breathalyzer wired to your ignition. In order to start your vehicle, you would have to blow into the device to prove that your BAC is lower than the preset limit. In the State of New Jersey, this preset limit is 0.05.
• If this is your first DUI, you will likely be required to drive with an IID for six to twelve months. You may also be required to have an IID installed in your vehicle during your suspension.
• If this is your second or subsequent DUI, you will be required to have an IID during your suspension and for one to three years following reinstatement.
If you fail to comply with a judge’s order to have an IID installed, it will likely result in an additional one year suspension of your driver’s license.
Depending on which IID provider you choose, you may be able to lease or buy an IID. Either option can be expensive. The ignition interlock program can cost you $100 per month or more. There may also be installation and/or removal fees. Click here for a list of New Jersey’s approved ignition interlock providers.
If You Still Have Questions:
For more information about New Jersey’s DUI regulations, visit our New Jersey DUI laws page.
If you have questions about license suspension or restoration, you can call the New Jersey MVC at 1-609-292-7500.
If you have questions about surcharges, call 1-888-651-9999 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Additional New Jersey DUI Resources
- New Jersey First Offense DUI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- New Jersey DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of New Jersey’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- New Jersey Alcohol DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- New Jersey Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of New Jersey bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.