Alabama First Offense DUI Penalties
Alabama First Offense DUI Law OverviewOverview
A first offense DUI in Alabama comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Department of Public Safety.
A first offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense. Punished by imprisonment in the county or municipal jail for not more than one year, or by fine of not less than six hundred dollars ($600) nor more than two thousand one hundred dollars ($2,100), or by both a fine and imprisonment. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved DUI offender/substance abuse program is required.
A first offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will be considered a presumption of guilt and will result in an additional 90 day suspension of your driver’s license. An ignition interlock will be required for a period of 2 years for all first time offenders if one or more of the following are true:
Had a BAC of .15% or higher at the time of arrest.
Had a child under the age of 14 in the vehicle at the time.
Caused an accident resulting in the injury of another person.
Your license will be suspended for 90 days following a first offense. The court may grant you a limited license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Alabama DUI Resources
- Alabama DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Alabama’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Alabama Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Alabama Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Alabama Fourth or Subsequent Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Alabama SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Alabama’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Alabama DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Alabama Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Alabama bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.
- State Statutes – Complete Alabama DUI statute regarding DUI laws and penalties.