Alabama Third Offense DUI Penalties
Alabama Third Offense DUI Law
To be considered a third offense DUI, the current offense must have occurred within 5 years of a previous second offense. A third offense DUI in Alabama comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Department of Public Safety.
A third offense is a Misdemeanor offense. Punished by a fine of not less than$2,100 nor more than $10,100 and by imprisonment, which may include hard labor, in the county or municipal jail for not less than 60 days nor more than one year, to include a minimum of 60 days which shall be served in the county or municipal jail and cannot be probated or suspended. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved DUI offender/substance abuse program is required.
A third offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will be considered a presumption of guilt and will result in an additional 1 year suspension of your driver’s license. An ignition interlock will be required for a period of 3 years for all third time offenders if one or more of the following are true:
Had a BAC of .15% or higher at the time of arrest.
Had a child under the age of 14 in the vehicle at the time.
Caused an accident resulting in the injury of another person.
Your license will be revoked for 1 year following a third offense. The court may grant you a limited license during revocation period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Alabama DUI Resources
- Alabama DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Alabama’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Alabama Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Alabama First Offense DUI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Alabama Fourth or Subsequent Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Alabama SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Alabama’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Alabama DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Alabama Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Alabama bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.
- State Statutes – Complete Alabama DUI statute regarding DUI laws and penalties.