Colorado First Offense DUI Penalties
Colorado First Offense DUI Law Overview
A first offense DUI in Colorado comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
A first offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense. Punished by imprisonment in the county or municipal jail for no less than 5 days and not more than 1 year, a fine of not less than $600 nor more than $1,000, community service between 24 and 96 hours. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved DUI class is required.
A first offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will result in a 1 year revocation of your driver’s license. You will be eligible for a restricted license after 2 months with the use of an ignition interlock device. The IID will be required for 2 years following reinstatement. An ignition interlock will be required for .15% or greater offenders for at least 1 year. Those below .15% BAC will be eligible for a IID license after 30 days of the suspension period has lapsed. Your license will be suspended for 9 months following a first offense. The court may grant you a restricted license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Colorado DUI Resources
- Colorado DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Colorado’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Colorado SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Colorado’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Colorado DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Colorado Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Colorado bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.
- State Statutes – Complete Colorado DUI statute regarding DUI laws and penalties.