Florida First Offense DUI Law Overview
A first offense DUI in Florida comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department.
A first offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense. Punished by imprisonment in the county or municipal jail for up to 6 months, however, the court may sentence you to probation for 1 year in lieu of any jail time along with a minimum of 50 hours of community service. The minimum fine amount is $500 and can goes as high as $2,000 depending on the circumstances of your case, plus all court costs. If you are granted probation your vehicle will be impounded for a minimum of 10 days. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved DUI school program is required.
A first offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will be considered a presumption of guilt and will result in an automatic 1 year suspension of your driver’s license. An ignition interlock will be required for at least 6 months if you had a BAC above .15% or a minor was in the vehicle at the time. Your license will be revoked for a minimum of 180 days following a first offense. The court may grant you a hardship license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Florida DUI Resources
- Florida DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Florida’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Florida Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Florida Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Florida Fourth or Subsequent Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Florida SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Florida’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Florida DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Florida Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Florida bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.