Illinois Second Offense DUI Law
A Second offense DUI in Illinois comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
A second offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense. The maximum jail sentence for a second offense is 1 year. In most cases you will receive a lesser jail sentence. It should be noted that the Judge may hand down a period of probation of up to 2 years instead of any jail time. The maximum fine for a second offense is $2,500 plus court costs. If you had a BAC of .16% or greater there is an additional mandatory fine of $1,250. The fine amount and jail sentence will vary based upon BAC level and case circumstances. There is a 240 hour mandatory period of community service for high BAC offenders. If a child under 16 was in the vehicle there is a 25 day period of community service. Attendance in a state approved DUI risk reduction class is required.
A second offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will result in a 3 year suspension of your driver’s license. If you are granted driving privileges during your suspension period you will be required to install an ignition interlock. Your license will be revoked for at least 5 years if the second offense occurred within 20 years of a first offense. You will however be able to obtain a monitoring device driving permit MDDP. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Illinois DUI Resources
- Illinois DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Illinois’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Illinoise First Offense DUI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois Fourth Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Illinois’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Illinois Alcohol Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Illinois Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Illinois bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.