Maryland Second Offense DUI Penalties
Maryland Second Offense DUI Law Overview
A second offense DUI in Maryland comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Motor Vehicle Administration.
A second offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense. The jail sentence for a second offense DWI can be up to 1 year and a second DUI offense can be up to 2 years. If a minor was in the vehicle the jail sentence will increase. The court may offer 30 days of community service in lieu of jail time. The maximum fine amount for a second offense DWI is $500 to $2,000 and for a DUI offense the maximum fines are $$2,000 to $3,000 plus court costs. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved alcohol education program is required.
A second offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will be considered a presumption of guilt and will result in a 1 year revocation of your driver’s license. An ignition interlock will be required for all offenders who are offered a restricted license during the suspension period. The ignition interlock will be required for up to 1 year beyond the suspension period. Your license will be suspended for 120 days following a second offense DWI and for 1 year following a second DUI offense. You must complete the required alcohol education program before the MVA will reinstate your license. The court may grant you a restricted license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Maryland DUI Resources
- Maryland DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Maryland’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Maryland First Offense DUI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Maryland Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Maryland SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Maryland’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Maryland Alcohol Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Maryland Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Maryland bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.