Maryland Third Offense DUI Law
A third offense DUI in Maryland comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Motor Vehicle Administration.
A third offense can be classified as a Misdemeanor or a Felony offense depending upon the amount of jail time handed down by the court. A third offense DWI can result in up to 1 year in jail. A third DUI offense can result in up to 3 years in jail. The fine amount for a third offense will be between $500 and $4,000 and will depend upon whether it was a DWI or DUI offense and whether a minor was in the vehicle. A term of community service of up to 60 days may be offered in lieu of all or part of any jail term. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved alcohol education program is required.
A third offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will be considered a presumption of guilt and will result in a 1 year revocation of your driver’s license. An ignition interlock will be required for all offenders who are offered a restricted license during the suspension period. The ignition interlock will be required for up to 1 year beyond the suspension period. Your license will be suspended for 12 months following a third offense DWI and for 18 months following a third DUI offense. You must complete the required alcohol education program before the MVA will reinstate your license. The court may grant you a restricted license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Maryland DUI Resources
- Maryland DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Maryland’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Maryland First Offense DUI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Maryland Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Maryland SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Maryland’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Maryland Alcohol Education Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol education classes.
- Maryland Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Maryland bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.