Arizona First Offense DUI Law Overview
A first offense DUI in Arizona comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Motor Vehicle Department.
A first offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense in the majority of cases. Punished by imprisonment in the county or municipal jail for a minimum of 10 days of which 9 days can be suspended if you complete the required assessment and alcohol education class before sentencing, term of imprisonment will be longer for high BAC offenders, a fine amount of no less than $250 base fine, $210 surcharges, and $1,000 general assessment fine. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Completion of an alcohol assessment and treatment program are required.
Your license will be suspended for 1 year for a first refusal. An ignition interlock will be required for a period of 1 year for all first time offenders before being issued a restricted license or full reinstatement following the suspension period. Your license will be suspended for 90 days following a first offense. The suspension period can be as high a 1 year on a first offense, but it is rare. You may be granted a restricted license during the suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Arizona DUI Resources
- Arizona DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Arizona’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Arizona Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Arizona Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Arizona SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Arizona’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Arizona DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Arizona Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Arizona bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.
- State Statutes – Complete Arizona DUI statute regarding DUI laws and penalties.