California First Offense DUI Penalties
California First Offense DUI Law Overview
A first offense DUI in California comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
A first offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense in the majority of cases. Punished by imprisonment in the county or municipal jail for a minimum of 10 days of which 9 days can be suspended if you complete the required assessment and alcohol education class before sentencing, term of imprisonment will be longer for high BAC offenders, a fine amount of no less than $250 base fine, $210 surcharges, and $1,000 general assessment fine. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Completion of an alcohol assessment and treatment program are required.
A first offense refusal will result in a 1 year license suspension period. An ignition interlock will be required for all high BAC offenders. Your license will be suspended for 4 months following a first offense as long as you submitted to a chemical test. The court may grant you a restricted license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional California DUI Resources
- California DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of California’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- California Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- California Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- California Fourth Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- California SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about California’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- California DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- California Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of California bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.
- State Statutes – Complete California DUI statute regarding DUI laws and penalties.