California Third Offense DUI Law
A third offense DUI in California comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
If you have been convicted of two prior DUI offenses in the past 10 years, it is a third offense charge. Punished by imprisonment in the county or municipal jail for at least 120 days up to 1 year, a period of probation may be granted in lieu of part of the jail term, the fine amount will be $1,800 to $18,000 the court may allow you to perform community service to work off part of the fine. Jail time and fines vary based upon the offenders blood alcohol level. Attendance in a state approved alcohol and drug program is required.
A third offense refusal will result in a 3 year license suspension period. An ignition interlock will be required for all offenders. Third time offenders will be eligible to drive after 6 months of the suspension period has been served with an ignition interlock. Your license will be suspended for 1 year following a third offense as long as you submitted to a chemical test. The court may grant you a restricted license during suspension period. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional California DUI Resources
- California DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of California’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- California First Offense DUI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- California Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- California Fourth Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- California SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about California’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- California DUI Education Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol education classes.
- California Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of California bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.
- State Statutes – Complete California DUI statute regarding DUI laws and penalties.