Illinois Third Offense DUI Penalties
Illinois Third Offense DUI Law Overview
A third offense DUI in Illinois comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
A third offense is an Aggravated offense and is classified as a Class 2 Felony offense. The jail sentence is 3 – 7 years, you may be granted 4 years of probation instead of jail time. If you had a high BAC level there is mandatory 90 day jail sentence. The fine for a third offense is $2,500 plus court costs and can go as high as $25,000 if a child under 16 was in the vehicle. The fine amount and jail sentence will vary based upon BAC level and case circumstances. There is a 25 day term of community service if a child under 16 was in the vehicle. Attendance in a state approved DUI risk education class is required.
A third offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will result in a 3 year suspension of your driver’s license. If you are granted driving privileges during your suspension period you will be required to install an ignition interlock. Your license will be revoked for at least 10 years. You may be able to obtain a monitoring device driving permit MDDP. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Illinois DUI Resources
- Illinois DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Illinois’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Illinois First Offense DUI – First offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois Fourth or Subsequent Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Illinois’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Illinois DUI Education Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol education classes.
- Illinois Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Illinois bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.