Illinois First Offense DUI Penalties
Illinois First Offense DUI Law Overview
A first offense DUI in Illinois comes with a combination of criminal penalties enforced by the court and administrative penalties against your driver’s license handed down by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
A first offense is classified as a Misdemeanor offense. In most cases a first offender will not serve any jail time, but depending on the circumstances first offense jail time can go as high as 1 year. There is a mandatory minimum fine of $500 and can go as high as $2,500 plus court costs. The fine amount and jail sentence will vary based upon BAC level and case circumstances. First offenders who had a blood alcohol level of .16% or higher will be required to serve a mandatory 100 hours of community service. If a child under 16 was in the vehicle at the time you will have to serve a mandatory 25 hours of community service. Attendance in a state approved DUI risk reduction class is required.
A first offense refusal to submit to a chemical test will result in a 1 year suspension of your driver’s license. If you are granted driving privileges during your suspension period you will be required to install an ignition interlock. Your license will be revoked for at least 1 year. You will however be able to obtain monitoring device driving permit MDDP after 30 days of the revocation period has been served. An SR-22 form filing will be required for a period of 3 years beyond license reinstatement period. You can apply for your SR-22 filing below:
Additional Illinois DUI Resources
- Illinois DUI Laws – Here you will find a comprehensive and detailed explanation of Illinois’s DUI laws including all offense levels and penalties.
- Illinois Second Offense DUI – Second offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois Third Offense DUI – Third offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois Fourth Offense DUI – Fourth offense information including penalties, fines, potential jail time, license suspension, DUI classes, and more.
- Illinois SR22 Insurance Filing – We have compiled everything you need to know about Illinois’s SR22 insurance and filing requirements including important addresses, phone numbers, etc.
- Illinois DUI Classes – We offer a complete listing of state approved DUI & alcohol abuse classes.
- Illinois Bail Bondsmen – Comprehensive list of Ilinois bail bond agents including address, phone, website, etc.